Monday, November 1, 2010

A Review of Easy A

Hey guys it's Josh. I saw Easy A over the weekend, and here's my review on it:
  1. There are so many things I want to say about this movie I've rewritten this opening sentence about 6 times. However, all of these things I wanted to write were positive. Despite the fact that everybody calls this movie as a Chick Flick, I personally enjoyed it. Calling this just a chick flick would be calling The Social Network just a drama. Both of those movies are so much more than just the genres they are tied to- but that's where the similarities end. Easy A is about a girl who fakes losing her virginity to get popular, but it soon starts getting out of control. This girl starts wearing an A on her chest after reading a book called the Scarlet Letter (Which I haven't read). Sounds interesting, right? While the story is already interesting it's the actors that really bring this movie to life. Emma Stone as the main character Olive tells the story through a series of webcasts, something that isn't really referenced much but implied throughout the movie. She is a great character, and Emma puts herself into the role really well. That's not to say the other cast members didn't do well. Amanda Bynes as Marianne- an ultra Christian- almost steals the show, were it not for Olive's parents, played by Patricia Clarkson and Stanley Tucci, who provide some of the film's heart. 
  2. So far you've heard me say the movie's perfect. The casting is great, the story is great, and everything is just awesome. It's not perfect. The love interest isn't introduced until halfway through the movie, which can mess it up at times. Marianne didn't have enough character to her, though she was my favorite character. These are only minor criticisms in an otherwise fun movie. Though there is one huge complaint. Or should I say, one Hughes complaint. Throughout the movie, there were shout outs to every movie he made, but at the same time the movie tried to BE a John Hughes movie. If they didn't pile up the shout outs, then it would have worked, but I don't think Hughes put a shout out to many other movies during his career (okay, except for Star Wars in Ferris Bueller's Day Off). I could be wrong, though. But, strangely, that is still a minor complaint when you have a movie as good as this one. While it may have too many shout outs, and while some characters could have been more developed, it was a great film with great dialogue, great acting, and just an overall great feel.
    Easy A gets a B+, or, since I don't give grades to movies, an 7.5/10.
    WARNING: If you don't like the song Pocketful of Sunshine, do NOT see this movie. But really, who doesn't like that song?
    Rated PG-13 for some obviously adult content, and language.

Josh C.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome review Josh! I think I might see it over the weekend

    ReplyDelete